Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you decide to update to a more sophisticated model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a departed family member: donate your pre-owned hearing aids versus throwing them away.
There are lots of people suffering from hearing loss who could use a donated hearing aid, and a number of organizations out there that acquire and circulate those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and find out how you can do it.
Why You Should Look Into Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
- Of the total population, about 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have hearing loss 91% percent are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some form of hearing loss
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who require hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
This is really troubling. Because health problems like cognitive decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been connected to untreated loss of hearing. The value of your hearing to your overall health is supported by new studies coming out all of the time. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health issues (and in certain cases even reverse them).
And hearing loss will cost the typical family up to $12,000 each year which should be a very compelling point. But that cost can actually be decreased by up to 50% with hearing aids.
It might not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
Your old hearing aid can have a big impact, in the overall health, quality of life and financial well-being, for an individual in need who couldn’t normally afford a hearing aid. It may also help a child in school who has a hard time hearing, which could impact their ability to get into higher education and make a decent living when they’re older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come and see us so we can guide you on the right recycling option for you. Or give us a call.